Source: Economic Events April 13, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
After high volatility in Treasury and FX markets over the last weeks, the Easter weekend gives traders some air to breathe.
Still, the picture in the USD/JPY looks fairly interesting: technically, the currency pair made back some of its recent losses after its drop back below 108.50/109.00, with the overall mode staying choppy, but in our opinion an overall bearish touch.
Reason for our "bearishness" is the to be expected pressure on 10-year-US Treasury yields, where technically only recapturing 1.20% would brighten the bearish outlook.
Besides that, the currency pair currently also finds itself in a bearish seasonal window: over the last 24 years, USD/JPY dropped between April 8 - 16, by an average of 137 pips while it rose in the remaining six years on average 68 pips with a max drawdown of 153 pips.
And while we still consider a new wave of risk-off hitting global financial markets to be a serious option and thus under "normal" market conditions a driver lower for the USD/JPY, currently such a risk-off-wave would likely going hand in hand with an increasing demand for the USD, given the global USD shortage.
Should such a USD squeeze materialize in the days/weeks ahead, a test, probably even break of the region around 112.00/30 would be an option.
Still, a sustainable drop below 107.00 would potentially level the path down to 105.00:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on USD/JPY Daily chart (between February 18, 2019, to April 10, 2020). Accessed: April 10, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of the USD/JPY increased by 0.5%, in 2016 it fell by 2.8%, in 2017 it fell by 3.6%, in 2018 it fell by 2.7%, in 2019 it fell by 0.85%, meaning that after five years, it was down by 9.2%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.