Source: Economic Events March 16, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
Last trading week saw massive volatility, starting with "Black Monday" due to both Coronavirus fears and oil prices collapsing due to Russia resisting Saudi Arabia's push for deeper production cuts at the OPEC meeting in Vienna.
Thursday became a "Black Thursday" of sorts after the monetary stimulus from the ECB went nowhere, and market participants being concerned about US president Trump's (surprising) travel ban from Europe to the US, resulting in the sharpest equity drop since the 'real' Black Monday on October 19, 1987.
As the week approached the close, signs point to a massive monetary stimulus in anticipation of a global economic downturn and recession, governments are also trying to fight Coronavirus induced recession fears.
The German government delivered a bomb by announcing billions of Euro to cushion the economy, with plans to set up a safety net for companies and no limit on credit programs.
As a result, the DAX30 CFD rallied sharply, gaining as much as 9% on the day, but gave back all of its gains in the hours later that day - a very weak sign.
Similar measures from other governments, especially European ones, should probably be expected. Short positions should be taken very cautiously, even though the overall advantage stays on the Short-side.
Technically, the Short sequence stays given as long as the DAX30 CFD trades below 11.000 points, drop below 9,000 points is clearly on the table with a potential target being found around 8,700 points, while a potential Short-trigger is technically found around 10,200 points:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on DAX30 CFD Daily chart (between November 28, 2018, to March 13, 2020). Accessed: March 13, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of the DAX30 CFD increased by 9.56%, in 2016, it increased by 6.87%, in 2017, it increased by 12.51%, in 2018, it fell by 18.26%, in 2019, it increased by 26.44% meaning that after five years, it was up by 34.2%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.